Thursday, July 8, 2010

House Jewelry

For the last two weeks I have been literally and figuratively in the trenches figuring out downspout drainage for our site. To give myself a break, I stopped by Builder's Hardware Supply today to look at doorknobs. Now you might wonder how looking at doorknobs could be any more exciting than plotting drain lines, but I promise you it was.

There was an advertisement in a design magazines recently for doorknobs that caught my eye, and I wanted to see if BHS had anything like it. The ad featured hardware that is, quite simply, breathtaking. It looks like jewelry. I couldn't remember the name of the company in the magazine ad, but I did find things similar from a variety of manufacturers, all available in the polished nickel that I found so beautiful in the ad.

The doorknob pictured is the Colonial Revival set from Rejuvenation. Another similar style by Von Morris is absolutely gorgeous. I have no idea what the price is--probably out of our range. By looking at the various styles, I am narrowing my preferences to the beaded style for its jewelry-like detailing. I also think the polished nickel would look great on the first floor doors--especially the living room French doors--where the paint colors will be soft hues of Nordic grey-blue, sea blue, and creamy white. I guess it is no coincidence I like this polished nickel given that my favorite metals for jewelry are sterling silver and platinum. I love the slightly warm, creamy tone of nickel. Here are some other doorknobs that appeal to me:

Omnia the "Traditions" line
Vincenza
Baldwin

And speaking of house hardware, it would be very easy to get carried away and overcomplicate things with the variety of products on the market; for example there seem to be a bazillion styles of switchplates. There is even one by Omnia that matches the doorknob I like with the beading around the edge. This switchplate by Liberty is pretty, but having never really thought about switchplates before (except for choosing white or beige) I'm wondering if it might just call too much attention to itself. Shouldn't a switchplate simply exist? Just be there to accept your touch as you automatically reach for the light?

Then again, once you start down the path of house jewelry, you might as well go all the way. Here's a little beauty of a doorbell by Byron Bell.  I'm not including any of the wilder designs--not my taste--but you can also get a doorbell in the shape of a lizard, palm tree, starfish, flower, dragonfly, and probably lots of other designs.

One item we definitely will be needing is recessed door pulls for the various pocket doors throughout the house. Here's a nice one by Richelieu--simple and classic. This one by Hafele is a little more modern, but also nice. It doesn't expressly say it is for pocket doors, but I suppose it could be used for that purpose.

It has been fun to indulge in looking at these beautiful pieces of hardware, but tomorrow I've got to get back to resolving the topography problem on the west property line; specifically how to run a drainline from elevation 145' to 144' when there is a doorway in the middle at 142.5'.  Hmmmm. To be continued...

Image: Ingram Colonial Revival door hardware from Rejuvenation

No comments: